MJ's Summer Drum and Rhythm Camp 2017
June 26-30 9:30am-1:00pm at MJ's Music School
Led by Dave Fox and Matt Salvo, MJ's Music School faculty
All Levels are welcome. NO prior drumming experience is required
Open to drummers, percussionists and instrumentalists of all levels, our camp will offer large group ensemble learning and performance as well as individual and small group instruction based on ability level.
Topics covered during the week will be:
●Co-ordination and styles for drumset
●Tuning and stick selection
Each session will cater to students of different ability and will include:
- Warming up/Stick Control exercises and Rudiments
- Reading, singing and playing basic rhythms
- Performance Exposure/Group Playing
- Playing along with recorded tracks a well as individual solo performance
- Individual Lesson Time
Using music of various styles including Pop, Rock, Funk and Jazz, campers will:
- Learn the fundamentals of technique including grip, stroke and posture.
- Learn musical foundations of percussion including rhythm, dynamics, melody, listening and notation.
- Learn the fundamental co-ordination exercises in control of hands and feet.
- The week will culminate in group and individual performances showcasing achievement
Younger campers (ages 5-7) will benefit both from individual and group instruction as well as an ensemble performance opportunity with older and experienced campers. Activities will include:
- Sticking exercises using R and L Notation.
- “Animal Rhythms” and basic pattern recognition
- Bucket Drumming
- Introduction to the drumset and instruments of the percussion family.
- No prior drumming required, but students should be able to participate in a classroom and individual learning environment for sessions up to 45 minutes at a time.
Campers will receive a pair of Vic Firth Drumsticks to be used throughout the week and several handouts of music and exercises.
Sample day schedule
9:30-10:30 Group Warmup. Stick Control and Rudiment review
10:30-11:00 Individual or small group time. Technique focus
11:15-11:45 Co-ordination and Drumset style of the day
11:45-12:05 Individual or small group time. Performance focus
12:15-11:50 Group Ensemble rehearsal
12:50-1:00 Wrap up and review
Please note, this camp is not appropriate for children who require physical support or restraint and/or exhibit intensive behavioral or functional needs and significant challenges. Parents are encouraged to stay with their child in the sessions and participate with us!
For Registration, contact Molly Jo Rivelli at email@example.com or 781-642-1181 www.MJsMusicSchool.com www.facebook.com/mjsmusicschool